Monday, April 11, 2011

Belize, Week 1 - journey to the center of the atoll!


Oh, Belize City – a shiny, modern metropolis you are not.  My first thought upon seeing the bright Belizean sun:  “Holy shit, they still have AIR STAIRS?!?!?  Are we in an 80s movie??”  Not to worry, the rustic charm didn’t wear off in a hurry.  The taxi that took me to the bus station looked like a station wagon  from the 70s, and when I say bus station?  School bus.  Three hours.  No A/C.  Good times!!! 


I was surrounded by locals, drenched in sweat, and transfixed by the gorgeous scenery meandering by my window.  Lush, tropical jungle was everywhere, with hills shrouded in a fog-like haze.  The bus stopped to pick up people along the road (not necessarily at actual bus stops).  At one point, a woman got on with a huge box of homemade bread.  She made her way up & down the center aisle selling bread, then was on her way a few miles down the road.  There were small settlements here & there, but nothing really even large enough to term a village.  We passed through the capital of Belmopan – again, not your average bustling city.  When we finally passed the monument of the three drums signifying the town center of Dangriga, I was ecstatic.  As I trundled my giant suitcase down the sandy dirt (main) road, I garnered a few odd looks when I turned down the offers of a taxi.

I finally arrived at Val's Backpacker Hostel and settled in.  After a nice chilly shower, I decided that it was time to explore Dangriga (which didn’t take long).  I had my first taste of the national drink, Belikin Beer, at the River’s Edge café, which was virtually empty as it was still early.  I meandered my way to the Pelican Beach Hotel on the other end of town and took advantage of the happy hour special on their back patio overlooking the beach.  $3 BZ, or $1.50 US, for a beer.  Score!!  After a tasty dinner of coconut shrimp & a few more beers, I made my way back to the hostel and collapsed in bed.

I woke up refreshed & eager to continue my journey.  I headed out in search of supplies, as I was planning to do my own cooking during the 2nd week of my trip.  At the store in town, I found a bottle of coconut rum and the weird shelf-stable canned butter I had read about.  I wandered through the weekend market on the riverbanks, but found mostly used clothes.  I picked up a few limes at the produce market, but wasn’t brave enough to check out the meat & fish section, as the stench was fairly overwhelming.  With my shopping out of the way, I decided to give the infamous “King Burger” a shot for breakfast.  Not a fan of eggs, I asked if I could get a burger for breakfast.  Clearly I never learn, as I didn’t specify that I would like it plain.  It came out covered in a mystery orange sauce that looked like Russian dressing, but it was otherwise pretty tasty.  I started chatting with an American couple at the next table, and they encouraged me to try the Belizean specialty of fryjacks – bread dough fried in oil, covered in butter and sugar; sinfully delicious, and just like my grandfather used to make!

No comments: