Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fitting in partying with the locals

A fond farewell to paradise
Just a quick note to wrap up - I was truly shocked at the way Belize City was portrayed to me by guidebooks, tourists, and even locals.  I've lived in NYC for almost eight years now.  I spent my first six months in the city living in Harlem.  So when I read and was told that Belize City was such a "dangerous" place and that I shouldn't go out after dark, I rolled my eyes.  On my way out of the country, I stayed over for a night in a hostel on the outskirts of the downtown area.  When I checked in, I was told that if I needed a ride anywhere, someone from the staff would be happy to drive me.  After the luxury of a(n INDOOR) shower and an air conditioned nap, I put on some clean clothes and ventured back to the front desk to ask for a lift.  I wanted to go downtown, enjoy a beer or two, have a nice dinner at one of the restaurants I had read about, and then call it an early night.  The hostel manager looked absolutely appalled when I told him of my intentions.  Ohnono, you don't want to go out now, not downtown, at this hour?  By yourself?  Despite his protestations, and due to the fact that it was maybe 4:30pm, I told him I would chance it.

I tried the place I had been interested in, but all the seating was outdoors and the AC was just too tempting at that point, so I meandered across the street to one of the big hotels (Hyatt maybe?).  The bar was frosty cold, so I found a spot and got comfortable.  I soon struck up a conversation with two friendly gentlemen who were colleagues, one American, one Belizean.  I eventually asked if they had any suggestions about where in the small downtown area would be the best place to have dinner, and they graciously invited me to join their group at a local restaurant on the water.  We had a delicious and very jovial dinner with the large group, and then proceeded to make our way to a small dance club and bar.  Everyone I encountered was nothing but polite and friendly - certainly more than I can say for most such establishments in my adopted home city.  Needless to say, I had a wonderful night, and I would advise anyone visiting Belize City to of course be aware of your surroundings, but also don't be afraid to explore; you just might enjoy it!

No comments: